A number of famous people have allegedly been involved in drug abuse. Some of them lost the battle and paid dearly with their lives, but others were able to manage their use and continue to make their mark on history.
Online articles list the following as notable drug users (or suspected drug users):
- Elvis Presley – This performer’s alleged drug abuse helped obliterate his personal life. He was found dead in his bathroom in August of 1977. Toxicologists later announced that they had detected the presence of 14 drugs in his system.
- Thomas Edison – The great American inventor allegedly regularly consumed Vin Mariani, a Bordeaux wine with coca leaves, the source of cocaine. The ethanol of the wine extracted cocaine from the coca leaves in great concentration.
- Sigmund Freud – Freud allegedly used cocaine as a personal indulgence for many years. He used to take a small amount of cocaine regularly to fight depression and indigestion. He published a review – “Uber Coca” – in 1884 in which he proposed drug substitution as a therapeutic treatment for drug addiction.
- Marilyn Monroe – The famous sex symbol allegedly abused chloral hydrate and barbiturates. She died of a barbiturate overdose in 1962. At the time of her death, she had suffered from mental illness for several years and attempted to dull her problems with drug abuse.
- Steve Jobs – The founder of Apple allegedly experimented with LSD in the 1960s. He claimed that LSD was one of the most important things he had done in life. He said that his imagination, which led to the creation of many of Apple’s popular devices, was enhanced by psychedelic experimentation.
- Bill Gates – Just like Jobs, Gates allegedly experimented with LSD during his youth, although he is not as open as Jobs on the subject. Gates said that his drug use was limited to his younger years.
- Adolf Hitler – Papers from Hitler’s private physician indicate that he allegedly depended on a mix of cocaine and opioids to maintain his charisma throughout World War II.
- Vincent Van Gogh – The great artist had bouts of mental illness, which were believed to be associated with alleged drug use. He committed suicide in 1890.
Even though many states now legally allow use of marijuana, don’t let drug use become an addition. If you need help, seek it. If you need the best one hour detox, consider Pure Detox.
Drugs are not just for the poor and infamous. It is always associated with crimes since a lot of studies show how a person’s mind is affected by drug usage. However, there are famous people who have a different perception when it comes to why they are using it and how it affected their lives. It is shown in this infographic.